Being in esthetics school means that I am learning something new everyday- things I didn’t even know existed! Here are some random fun facts from this week at school:
- Ten healthy habits for the skin: Avoid sun exposure. Healthy diet. No smoking. Avoid excessive alcohol. Drink water. Get plenty of rest. Stay active and exercise. Use beneficial products and home-care. Get regular facials for skin maintenance. Avoid stress.
- Dry skin lacks oil. Dehydrated skin lacks water.
- Skin, also known as the integumentary system, is the largest organ in the body. (I already knew that but I thought it would be something fun to add)
- Each square inch of skin contains: Millions of cells. 8 feet of blood vessels. 32 feet of nerves. 650 sweat glands. 100 oil glands. 65 hairs. 1,300 nerve endings. 155 pressure receptors. 12 cold and heat receptors.
- Touch is on of the first senses to develop.
- Sometimes the terms ‘pore’ and ‘follicle’ are used interchangeably. Pores are actually sweat gland openings, not follicles. Pore is a common term that we usually use when describing our skin. They are technically follicles they are referring to, not pores. Follicles are tube-like depressions with oil glands attached to them. Some follicles have hair and other are hairless.
- The skin’s functions are: Protection. Sensation. Heat regulation. Excretion. Secretion. Absorption.
- Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body.
I also want to share with you something REALLY COOL! It’s called a Woods Lamp! This contraption (LOL) shows what your skin looks like… and I mean really looks like… I thought that a magnifying lamp was bad haha Check this out!!
This is the outside ⬇️
This is the inside ⬇️
A Woods Lamp shows transillumination, better know as light, that detects any bacterium and/or fungal skin infections. It also detects and uneven skin tones to help determine how someone can focus on target area of the face they want to fix.
Colors: Orange means oil. White means lint (mostly that floats around in the air) Other colors can show dehydration or asphyxiation of skin. The Woods Lamp also show sun damage, such as freckles.
This is me in the Woods Lamp ⬇️ CRAZYYYYY!!!! (Look at my lashes though, hollaaa!!!)
It’s very important to know that the body has MANY good bacterias on it, so don’t be discouraged or frightened! You can see in this picture that I have some orange showing on my forehead and a little bit on my nose. Then I have lint on my face, lol.
I do have a small confession!! I did receive a facial before this picture was taken, so I do have some sunblock on that is hindering the quality on the Woods Lamp. However, it you take a close look at my eyelids, you will see the color white, so you can see a difference there. You can also see a dark pigment under my eyes… who doesn’t have dark under eye circles??? It can be genetics, so I blame my parents! JK! I could use more rest though!
That is all for today! Thank you so much for stopping in and visiting with me today! It means more than you know!! Leave a comment down below if you have any questions!
With love, Mo
BE MY FRIEND @